Monday 8 July 2013

RSS SOS...

First Attempt Using Feedly.

Okay... this activity was DEFINITELY “hit-and-miss” for me.  Mind you, this is my first experience with an RSS.  I love the concept.  I wish I learned about this long ago.  I would be using it all the time.  My wife (and anyone who looks at my computer) always complains / comments on how many browser tabs and windows I have open at the same time.  Having information come to one central location for the “user” as opposed to the “user” going out to retrieve and toggle between a myriad of sites of different types, mediums, and the like... it’s a no brainer.  I get it!

I just found it a little difficult doing searches for specific content.  Mind you, this implementation gave the option of looking for examples, and I chose to look for the specific examples mentioned.  Some were problematic for me.  Here are my results.
  • BLOG – I chose to keep it simple and use the example given (http://bacchem.blogspot.com/):

  • A Podcast – Had trouble finding the particular podcast mentioned in the example, but I chose to add this one instead (http://dougandlori.podbean.com/):

  • A set of FLICKR images – Ironically, I was able to add the set of images given in the example, but these were NOT the images that I initially wanted to add.  I spent a lot of time trying to a DIFFERENT set of FLICKR images found at this URL (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30334094@N05/3117795939/) unsuccessfully:

  • As I mentioned before, I was still able to add the example specified to my Feedly (www.flickr.com/photos/21961199@N02/with/4267717517/):

The benefits of RSS feeds for individual and personal use are clearly apparent.  A course that contains a varied amount of information constantly being updated from blogs, podcasts, and other types of news feeds would clearly be able to utilize such a program to direct and engage each student on a regular basis.  The next challenge is to find subject-specific material that maximizes a website like this to its full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment